Screen Readers and post trimming (was: Cannon [Camera] Support)

Tue Oct 27 14:26:48 UTC 2009

"Accessys at smart.net" <accessys at smart.net> wrote:
> also since one is "listening" to the output a word at a time it is
> VERY time consuming to read all the way thru especially untrimed
> posts, just to get to an answer.  you can scan the page.  screen
> readers really do not "scan" but are very literal.

Why can the readers not be configured to skip lines beginning with > ?
Given that the only time this happens in emails is when it's quoted
text, it shouldn't break anything else.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect everyone who is currently
replying to emails by trimming and bottom posting to switch to top
posting in case there is someone relying on a broken screen reader. The
natural solution to this would be to fix the actual problem (stop the
screen reader from reading out quoted text, wherever it exists), rather
than to try to avert a symptom.

That said, I would expect far more effort to be expended arguing the
case for and against different ideas on where to put replies than
fixing any screen readers.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)