Umbrello/TCM

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 00:16:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca>wrote:

> Verde Denim wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Derek Broughton
> > <derek at pointerstop.ca>wrote:

> >> Don't know TCM at all.  I tried Umbrello - very pretty, no current
> >> development, useless for my work (I'm generating models for a Plone code
> >> generator - ArchGenXML - and Umbrello is incompatible, because it's
> >> outdated).
> >>
> >> I use ArgoUML - ugly but functional.  Of course, what sort of "Linux
> >> development" you're doing, would affect the requirements.
> >>
> > Thanks for the input. I did notice that Umbrello has been _ghosted_ ...
> > I'll look up Argo and give that a go. This is mostly for school work at
> > the moment.
> > On the win side, they're using visual paradigm, but all the models have a
> > watermark stamped through them (not very professional for turning in
> work,
> > even if it is only school). Need a tool for use case, process, state,
> > class, and data models. uml 2.0 standard stuff...
>
> I'm not at all sure Argo is UML 2.0 compatible (but neither is Umbrello).
> have used both just to produce all those diagrams.  It's as input for the
> code generation product I use that Umbrello falls down.

Derek
Thanks for the reply. Check out visual paradigm (if you don't mind running
it in M$ - or if you've got virtualbox or vmware running). The community
edition is basically full function, but as I said, it plasters water-marks
on output (although you could snap the screens for doc purposes). I'm not a
fan of the interface, but it will work. Still trying to figure out some of
the more subtle functions (like a collaborative use case), but I want to try
and have a linux-centric environment if at all possible. Argo should work
for my purposes, but I may give TCM a go only because I've never seen it
before. If you've an interest, I can update this msg after install and
having a look at it.

Regards

Jack