Cannon [Camera] Support

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 20:26:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Mark C. Miller <mr.mcmiller at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it just me, or does Canon not like Linus very much?  I have a computer
> running Ubuntu 9.04.
>
> I have a Cannon camera.
>
> When I plug the camera into one of the usb ports, the camera" mounts and
> I can maneuver to the files on the camera's memory (SD card).  I can't no
> matter what I try to do, transfer the files to the Ubuntu computer's hard
> drive.  I tried to "select all" -- didn't work.  Tried to move just one
> file -- didn't work.  Tried to use fspot -- didn't work.
>
> tnx
>
> mcm

Although this doesn't address your direct problem, you may want to
just get a SD Card reader and use that instead.  You can get there
really cheaply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820717002&cm_re=usb_sd_card_reader-_-20-717-002-_-Product

That will basically take the whole camera out of the equation.  I have
used a memory card reader like the ones above in Linux and they work
well.  I have a Canon camera as well, but find that it is easier and
doesn't drain the batteries to just take the SD card out, copy, move,
delete whatever pictures I want, and then put the card back in.

Hope this helps,

Preston