Off topic: Request for opinon on laptops

Stuart Murray-Smith eight32 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 12:21:37 UTC 2009

Greets Thomas

> I am thinking about buying a laptop that will be used to learn
> graphics, 3D and Flash. Programs are PhotoShop CS3, FLASH,
> Maya2008 and Xara (Linux).
>
> I have a list of must be features. One is to have 1 GB of video RAM.
> My preference is dedicated and not shared memory. I see many
> computers with hybrid memory. One such laptop is the Sony on
> the below webpage of TigerDiret:

Yes, a 1GB+ video RAM ideal, but also consider graphics drivers.
Drivers for the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 graphics chipset *should*
be easy enough to config, but I'd preferably test the drivers before
buying.

> Sony VAIO VGN-FW590FYB Laptop Computer. It has 2287MB Total
> available Graphics Memory (512MB dedicated VRAM). This is more
> than 1 GB. Would this be as good or even better than just 1 GB on
> a dedicated video card? I am very concerned about having enough
> memory for Maya.

Dedicated is always better. Does your purchase need to be a laptop?
Considered a workstation?

> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5263866&Sku=S170-16408
>
> At this time I am looking and trying to learn.

Appreciated :) Keep going!

Stu@