Best FTP client to get

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Fri Oct 23 09:44:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-23 at 02:12 -0700, thomas wrote:
> I need to get a FTP client so that I can post a website.

I'm sure others will provide good info on FTP clients.

BUT:

If you use FTP, your password travels in clear text across the Internet.
It is extremely easy to steal, and your site is very vulnerable. If your
web hosting service provider offers a secure upload facility - SCP or
SFTP for example - you should use that, and NOT use FTP.

If your web hosting service provider does not offer a secure upload
facility, you should strongly consider changing providers.

If for some reason I cannot imagine you are forced to use a totally
insecure mechanism for administering your website, at very least make
sure that you do not use a password that even remotely resembles any
other password you may use, keep a good backup of all your site data,
change your password frequently, and check your site *very* frequently
for unauthorised changes. Just looking at the site is not enough - you
have to compare files, as many web attacks these days just do things
like attach malicious javascript to HTML files. Invisible, but damaging.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF