Xorg/gnome keeps crashing

Res res at ausics.net
Fri Oct 23 02:25:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, Jared Greenwald wrote:

> I've had my workstation (Dell GX620) setup with 9.04 since it's beta
> back at the beginning of the year.  Recently, I noticed that when I
> was switching workspaces (via scroll wheel or key sequence) Xorg/gnome
> would just completely lock up.  I'm not talking about just hosing the
> X server, but bringing my machine to a complete lock (can't ssh in,
> completely unresponsive).
>
> So, I figured that with 9.10 in final beta, I might as well give that
> a try to see if that would fix my issue.  Alas, it is still a problem.
> This is making my work life really hard as I usually use at least 2-4
> workspaces in my Gnome session at a time.  Is there anyone else out
> there having similar issues?  Anyone have any suggestions as to how to
> fix this (other than not using multiple workspaces).
>
> The other thing of note is that on my laptop I use 4 workspaces and
> never have an issue, so it seems tied to that specific computer...
>
> Any help would be much appreciated as I've lost some serious work due
> to having to hard reboot every time the thing locks up.

I've had this happen as well on a desktop running hardy, it occurs
sometimes when switching from console  back to X  with alt-f7, not always
but sometimes, and yes, all you can do is hard kill power, great for disk
drives :)  even teh magic sysreq keys cant recover it.
This only started recently here, under 2 months ago, so i guess an
update at the time has bugs in it, which one...who knows
and I CBF going about the way they want you to log bugs now so pfft, if i
need to so something critical, like remotely work on cisco ACL's, I always
change to console, much safer.

And agree, laptop never has this issue, likely the intel driver
issue, which is apparently completely fixed in intel v9 using > 2.6.31
kernel.

--
Res

"What does Windows have that Linux doesn't?" - One hell of a lot of bugs!