Network manager icon not appearing

Gary Kirkpatrick pegngary at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 01:51:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Andrew Farris <flyindragon1 at aol.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 07:22 -0400, Gary Kirkpatrick wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I am using 8.10 on my Dell Mini 10.  The Network manager icon stopped
> > appearing on the bar so I can't see which wireless networks are
> > available.  When I click System/Network Manager nothing happens.   I
> > can connect via ethernet.  On 9.10 on same notebook I do not have this
> > problem at all and in fact sometimes when 8.1 loads the icon loads,
> > sometimes I see it for a moment and it disappears.
>
> sounds like the applet is crashing for some reason...but since you can
> still connect to the internet via ethernet, then network manager is
> still working, you are just lacking an applet to see what it's doing.
>
> Try going to a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and run
> this:
>    nm-applet
> If it is indeed crashing, then in theory you will see the applet briefly
> appear, then disappear and you'll get a bunch of terminal output. Return
> with the terminal output, as that should give some clue as to why it's
> crashing, so we can find the actual problem, and fix it!
>
> --
> Andrew

Andrew, the command yielded

$ nm-applet
bash: nm-applet: command not found

So where did the applet go and more importantly how do I get it back?  Right
clicking on black space on tool bar does not result in the applet's
appearance either.

thanks

gary

(Fri is a travel day, no email until the evening)