Some other ubuntu questions/comments

mdovell at comcast.net mdovell at comcast.net
Fri Oct 23 01:10:37 UTC 2009

1)       This is rather minor but in the month or so that I’ve used it there’s been a few minor kernel updates. Within Gimp when my pc loads up it still lists all of them and their recovery modes as selectable functions. I’m not saying this is a bad thing but if this keeps going on I’m going to have a few dozen different things on my screen within a year

2)         I’m still a bit perplexed with web browsers. I’m not sure what I did but Opera seems to do nearly 99% of what I want to do. Firefox however hasn’t (although I know version 3.5 is due in another week) I don’t hate opera but I still hate this inconsistency that websites have with browsers. I can’t access my isp’s web based email on opera but I can with Firefox. I have a feeling maybe it has something to do with the sites metatags but o well.

3)       Open Office is kinda iffy. I can be typing something and it isn’t showing up or it is a bit slow. It is NOT crashing but it just seems like it’s not matching up with everything I’m typing. If I use the scroll on the mouse it instantly corrects it. For small things this isn’t that bad but if I’m going on to type pages worth of information it will drive me insane.

4)       Are there any other clients for the wireless internet to use? I mentioned this before that there’s a cisco system I use. It can work OK but seems to drop out for no real reason.

5)       This is sort of a biggie but just shooting at the hip here. Does anyone have any experience in making a mythpvr (some use ubuntu). I ask because my cable co is ending some of the analog cable and if I can make a cheap box so to speak it could save me money in the long run. I know obviously I’d need a hard drive, ATSC/QAM tuner, IR blaster etc.        6) In the latest upgrade to the kernal I also noticed after rebooting that there was a significant drop in the amount of disk space used. Is this normal?