Network manager- oop!

Thu Oct 22 12:41:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 08:27:33 -0400
Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngary at gmail.com> wrote:

> Trying to get my network manager icon to load, I decided to uninstall
> from synaptic manager.  I uninstalled the whole thingy and now I
> can't connect to the internet at all!   How do I reinstall it?  Thanks
>
> gary

You'll need to configure the interface in the file
/etc/network/interfaces. Firstly, save a copy of the file. You'll
want to revert back to it when you get nm or wicd working. Then
open the file in your favourite text editor, and comment out or delete
all the current entries.

Then, to setup a DHCP connection add the following line:

  iface eth0 inet dhcp

If you want a static IP address, you'd write

  iface eth0 inet static
  address 10.0.0.2
  netmask 255.255.252.0
  gateway 10.0.0.1

Where the IP address, netmask and gateway values are obviously
substituted for yours.
This is also assuming you're using eth0, which is generally correct,
but you might be using eth1.

Run
# ifconfig
to see the interfaces your computer thinks it has.

You will then need to restart the networking:
# /etc/init.d/networking restart

And revert to the original version of /e/n/i before using
NetworkManager, as it doesn't tend to get along with them.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)