Text editor recommendations

Robert Kiwanuka robert.kiwanuka at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 16:26:59 UTC 2009

> Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Seriously, all the suggestions here are good ones IMHO, apart from
> > vim,
>
> I don't think anyone was actually recommending Vim, I was just offering
> a way out if he ended up in it - it's a pretty common value for
> $EDITOR.
>
> That said, I initially found Vim far easier to extricate myself from
> than Emacs, which is likely partly why I ended up sticking with it.
> Mileage subject to large variance.
>
> --
> Avi Greenbury
> http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)
> http://aviswebsite.co.uk/asking-questions

To the OP:
If you wish to use a command line editor (e.g. if you're working remotely)
then vim in the one for you. Otherwise, gedit can be made to work like any
other with all the amazing plugins available! Try (in a terminal)
$ sudo apt-get install gedit-plugins
$ gedit &
Then Edit>Preferences>Plugins and enable the ones you wish to use. There are
even more online at http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins

If you use kde instead of gnome then I think kate is great too!

Regards,
Robert