Resizing the root physical volume in an encrypted LVM

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Tue Oct 20 23:30:05 UTC 2009

Ioannis Vranos:

> I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 x64 via alternate installation CD, as an
> encrypted volume group with the root partition (/) and the swap taking
> over the 50% of the volume group, the rest being free space.
>
> I want to either resize the root partition to take over the rest of the
> free space, or create a new unencrypted LVM with this free space.
>
> I installed system-config-lvm, but it looks like impossible to resize /
> as it is mounted, and can't be unmounted to do this.

For extending the size of a LV it shouldn't matter whether the
filesystem residing on it is mounted or not.
If system-config-lvm thinks otherwise (I can't imagine that it does) try
something like
sudo lvextend --extents +100%FREE <VGname>/<LVname>
and then use the appropriate tool to make the filesystem use the
additional size of the volume.

--
Regards
  mks