Configuring the New GDM Greeter

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 20 16:00:53 UTC 2009

On 10/20/2009 08:37 AM, Alvin Thompson wrote:

> On 10/20/2009 11:10 AM, Jonathan Hudson wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:46:25 -0400, Alvin Thompson wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if there's a way to configure the new GDM greeter to
>>> not show a list of users?  The security policies for the government and
>>> many companies forbid this.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alvin
>>>

>> apt-get install gdm-2.20
>>
>> Fixes all the brokeness of the new gdm
>>
>> -jh

Please bottom post :-) See:

> There isn't a configuration file change that can do this? I'd hate
> to have to manually manage separate versions of packages for a whole
> bunch of computers if I can possibly avoid it. Also, are you sure
> this won't potentially break anything? I'm not familiar with GDM, I
> imagine GDMs responsibilities (for example starting ssh-keyserver,
> etc) have changed.
>
> Thanks, Alvin

Unfortunately no. See:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/gdm/+bug/395299>
[gdm 2.26 has no graphical configuration tool]

For the package mentioned by Jonathan (good catch jh), see:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/gdm-2.20
<http://www.mail-archive.com/karmic-changes@lists.ubuntu.com/msg08182.html>
<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/gdm-2.20/2.20.10-0ubuntu3>