Kernel Problem?

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 19 15:30:10 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 10/19/09, Matt Harrison <matt.harrison82 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Matt Harrison <matt.harrison82 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Kernel Problem?
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Monday, October 19, 2009, 8:31 AM
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Karl
> F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> >> "Your system encountered a serious kernel
> problem." Your system may become unstable and may need to be
> restarted or to that effect. A button appears in the message
> to allow reporting the problem which I have done once.
> >> The above appears every time I start the computer
> since the last couple of upgrades. Running Karmic Beta with
> Kubuntu Desktop on 64 bit. System has performed better
> before the last couple of upgrades.
> >> Anyone experiencing the same issue or know a fix?
>  I am fully up-to-date; however, the update notifier in the
> system tray has stopped giving notice of available updates
> in about the same time frame but aptitude update shows they
> are available.
> >> Appreciate any comments,(BTW, the system appears
> ok, doesn't crash and runs fine after clearing out the
> message(s))
> >> Leonard Chatagnier
> >> lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
> >>

> >        No use I expect, but I am fully updated
> using the latest
> > kernel on a 32 bit Karmic without any kernel
> problems.

Correct Karl, I'm on 64 bit and had no problem with kernel until
last kernel upgrade/update on the -14 issue.

> To the OP:
> Can you try booting to an older Kernel from GRUB and seeing
> if the
> error message pops up still?  You may have a few
> kernels listed in
> GRUB so I would try botting to the 2nd one of the list (the
> 1st being
> the one you are using right now) and then keep working your
> way down
> the list until it goes away.

booted into the -`13 kernel issue with no kernel messages when
kde started.  Did get the annoying kde sudo message saying needs
sudo authorization and upon clinking ok a download app comes up
wanting to download and install flash plugin which I've already done.
This is another buggy annoyance on Beta but not related, I think.

> Also, aside from the updates, does the system function
> normally even
> with the error message?

Other than the annoying popups the system seems to function well
with Dolphin, five bash tabs open, open dict, and 3 SM tabs.
The bad thing is that these annoyances have just shown up with the
latest Karmic Beta updates/upgrades.  Am fully up-to-date.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net