Karmic problems

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 03:04:07 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 4:22 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  karl at karmic:~$ apt-cache policy firefox
> firefox:
>   Installed: 3.5.3+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu3

Precisely. With this stuff, it's good to always update, and see if the
problem persists with the new version. That way you know how to
diagnose the problems, and the best way to do that is first give what
you think is the expected behavior, specifics about what the cause
might be, then what you think the deviation from tech support stuff.
Especially now that Karmic is so in flux.

I admire what some of the people who do this stuff for a living are
able to remember - and that can only come from experience in seeing
the same problems ahppen before and then someone comes up with an
"AHA" experience, which basically goes right to the solution. I mean I
have no professional experience in IT or tech support, and in that I
don't have the seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of symptoms that some
experience have, which is amazing at times, like when (for example)
cite a particular mode of laptop, a problem and they seemingly have
instant recall of the critical component in that that is the source of
the issue.

Of course, this is not meant to be a slam against anyone but just as a
gentle reminder that the mroe input you give these people, the more of
a satisfactory response you'll get.  A sign of a person not willing to
help is "RTFM" or the copout "reinstall" type rejoinders. They
basically can go as far as alienating the truly interested people from
this experience.

Just a thought.

--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.