Add Windows partition to existing Ubuntu Partition

Mike McMullin mwmcmlln at mnsi.net
Thu Oct 15 21:48:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 14:03 +0200, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
> On Mon, October 12, 2009 08:09, Michael White wrote:
>
> > Here's the deal. I do not have a CD with Windows on it, however I have my
> > laptop that does and it has the WIN32 Installer on it. I was wondering if
> > I could use that. I still have the serial number from the version that was
> > on this PC before so that's not a problem.
>
> There are some legal problems.
>
> * If your laptop-Windows came with the laptop, it was probably a OEM
> version. Then it is legally bound to the laptop, you can install the
> Windows only on the laptop. You are not allowed to transfer it to other
> hardware. There may also be technical limitations, depending on how the
> laptop manufacturer preconfigured the cd.
>
> * If you bought Windows separately as a full version (not an upgrade),
> then you are legally allowed to install it exactly once, unless you have a
> Volume License. You probably don't. You have to destroy the Windows
> installation on your laptop when you install on your PC. There is only an
> overlap allowed to transfer your documents from laptop to PC.

  MS does allow for the transfer of license from "dead" hardware to new
hardware where XP is concerned.  I have done this with only the need to
call MS support for a new product key.  The OP is better off asking his
local hardware dealer for one of their install images and getting it
burned to disk, and then installing from there.  Some OEM Images do a
check on the hardware to make sure that you aren't mis-using the install
CD.