[OT] Re: Typical SATA to SATA rates

Odd iodine at runbox.no
Thu Oct 15 15:37:30 UTC 2009

Ray Leventhal wrote:
> Keith Clark wrote:
>> I am using Simple Backup Suite to backup one SATA drive to an identical
>> SATA drive on the same computer.  I only seem to be able to get speeds
>> of around 29 Mb/s.  Doesn't this seem to be a bit slow?  Is there
>> anything I can change to speed this up?
>>
> SATA bus transfers are typically in the 3GiB/s rate...so yes, that's a
> bit slow.  Are both drives on the same bus?

While the theoretical maximum transfer rate for SATA2 is 3 Gbit/s,
you'd have a hard time saturating it with an ordinary SATA disk.
Most drives transfers are in the range of 100MB/s or lower on average.

You can almost saturate a SATA channel in burst mode, but those
situations are rare. The Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 can almost get
to 250MB/s in burst mode. Some of the better SSDs, otoh, can
easily saturate a SATA2 channel. But 6Gb/s is just around the
corner.

--
Odd