Apache Maven to be removed from Karmic?

Alvin Thompson alvin at thompsonlogic.com
Thu Oct 15 15:09:41 UTC 2009

Currently, the Apache Maven package doesn't work due to the libplexus
packages (a Maven dependency) being synced from Debian but not Maven
itself.  According to the bug reports [1][2], this isn't going to be
fixed for Karmic and the Maven package will most likely just be dropped.

First, as a Java developer I hope this doesn't happen as Maven is pretty
much required for Java development (at least in the U.S.).

Second, There are a great many people who are currently using Maven in
Ubuntu.  If it is necessary to drop the packages you really need to warn
people during the upgrade process so they won't spend too much time
wondering why their projects aren't building anymore (or so they can
stick to 9.04 for the time being).  It should also be mentioned in the
release notes that Ubuntu no longer supports Maven because that would
certainly come as a surprise to developers and would factor into their
decision on which version to install.  I've created a bug report for
that [3] but it doesn't appear to have been looked at yet.  True, it's
only been a few days, but since the release date is quite close now I
figured I'd shoot off this email so hopefully this will be resolved one
way or the other before the release.

1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/427539
2. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/417164
3. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/450554