Add Windows partition to existing Ubuntu Partition

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Thu Oct 15 14:48:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, October 15, 2009 14:47, Gordon wrote:
> Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
>> On Thu, October 15, 2009 14:16, Gordon wrote:
>>
>>> Find a friend with the exact same version of XP you originally had on
>>> that machine, and make a copy of the CD. It's the Product key you pay
>>> for, not the media......
>>
>> No.
>> You pay for the license.
>> The product key is just an artifact of the license, just like the media.
>> Microsoft lawyers would say that this is illegal.
>>

> So why then, can you go to MS and buy a replacement media for little
> more than the shipping cost, as long as you have a valid product key?

As I already wrote, a valid product key is an artifact of a valid license.
The key is not the same as the license.

A license is a legally binding contract. You cannot touch, feel, taste,...
a contract because it is not a material thing.
A product key is like the paper that the terms of the contract were
written on.
When the paper with the terms of the contract is destroyed, the contract
still exists. Only you cannot prove that there is a contract, there is
only an oral agreement.
And with a false key you can pretend that you have a contract.