Add Windows partition to existing Ubuntu Partition

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Thu Oct 15 12:31:40 UTC 2009

On Wed, October 14, 2009 08:17, meandmine wrote:

> So let me get this straight, make a .doc and manually add an x at the
> end of the extension to make it appear as a .docx,  works?I thought that
> Office 2007 changed the way .doc was written, as a .xml format as before
> it was ........
>
> Am I wrong in this assumption?

Yes and no.

Windows will look at the file extension and pass .doc and .docx to the
application MSWord 2007.
MSWord 2007 will look at the file header and pass it to the appropriate
internal file handler. MSWord knows about the 2007 format as well as the
2003 format.
Once you are at the application level, file extensions don't matter any
more. They only mean someting at OS level (for doublecliks in the file
manager)

Try this: create a file helloworld.doc and rename it helloworld.xyz.
Open it in MSWord with File -> Open (explicitly opening it, bypassing
Windows).
See what happens.