Window Maker: does it run for you these days?

email.listen at googlemail.com email.listen at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 15 05:12:06 UTC 2009

Am Do, 15. Oktober 2009 04:41:17 schrieb Paul Johnson:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 5:56 PM, James Michael Fultz <croooow at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > * Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> [2009-10-14 17:22 -0500]:
> >> On Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) on a amd64 system, I installed the wmaker
> >> package.  I have used WM before on i386 systems without trouble, but
> >> 64 bits seems to be a big trouble.  I'd ask the WM community, but it
> >> seems to have gone the way of unsliced bread and horse drawn carriages
> >> (http://www.windowmaker.info exists, but mail lists not current).
> >>
> >> When I try to run wmaker (after killing other window managers), I get
> >> a big old horrible crash, the sort of which I've not seen before.
> >> $ wmaker
> >> *** buffer overflow detected ***: /usr/lib/WindowMaker/WindowMaker
> >> terminated ======= Backtrace: =========
> >> /lib/libc.so.6(__fortify_fail+0x37)[0x7f7ba559f2c7]
> >> [...]
>
> Well, this is downright pathetic.  I discovered the same problem in
> 2005 and my inability to solve it was the reason I quit running Window
> Maker!
[...]

May be you should try OpenBox.
It's quite close to WindowMaker's look and feel. But it lacks a dock and a
clip which (imo) are the best features of Windowmaker.
OpenBox: "http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Main_Page"

A good replacement for the WindowMaker dock is docker.
Docker: "http://icculus.org/openbox/2/docker/"

Theree is a ubuntu based distribution called crunchbang which uses OpenBox.
 "http://crunchbanglinux.org/"

Another option may be FluxBox, it comes along with it's own dock (called
slit).
FluxBox: "http://fluxbox.org/"

Since 1996/97 I'm using Windowmaker, it was my second choice after fvwm.
Mostly for laptops, older hardware and sometimes on servers as a very
lightweight gui. I love it's clip, applications linked to certain desktops is
a feature I'm missing in all other xwindow-managers.

regards,
thomas