Serious GRUB booting problem after install Ubuntu 9.10beta for testing it.

Joseph Cooper josephcooper3 at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 13 13:40:02 UTC 2009

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: Serious GRUB booting problem after install Ubuntu 9.10beta
for testing it.
From: Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com>
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Date: Tue 13 Oct 2009 05:01:24 GMT

> Joseph, I am not familiar with Linux Mint, but if it has a livecd
> and if it is based on ubuntu 9.04 and if it is on grub-legacy, then
>
> boot up on livecd, open a terminal,
>
> $ sudo grub
>  >grub find /boot/grub/stage1    ## do not type '>grub' ##
>
> ## this will output all/any partitions with grub-legacy say, (hd0,x).
>
> then
>  >grub root (hd0,x)      #### whatever that 'x' was for your linux mint##
>  >grub setup (hd0)
>  >grub quit
>

> You're done.
>
> Reboot without livecd.
>
> Oh, if you want to install any Linux OS on external drive, and you want
> it to be mobile, do NOT overide MBR, install grub at external drive
> itself. During installation, after you've set manual partitioning, there
> is an "advance" button, set grub at sdb, (taking care it really is sdb,
> if you've other drives connected as well).
> To boot external drive, most bios now let you boot from external by
> pressing either Esc, F8, F10 or F12. (find what that is in your computer)
>
> Regards,
> Goh Lip
>
> ps: if you've grub2, instead of grub-legacy, follow Tom's instructions.

Excellent, that seems to have fixed everything! I don't know what went
wrong with the first two LiveCDs that I burned, but I used one of the
public computers here (which, thankfully, all have Linux partitions on
them so I didn't have to use Windows!) and made another from the same
ISO using K3B and that's done the trick, the commands you gave me worked
fine. Many thanks!

Joseph