send mail from shell on 8.04 server (how to?)

christopher.lemire at gmail.com christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 07:46:25 UTC 2009

There's a program called sendemail that makes it easy to send email from the command line and email spoofing. But I think it requires a mail server app such as sendmail or postfix (I prefer) so, that it can talk to the isp's mail server in SMTP. Mutt would be my first choice if I were you. Its not a full gui app, so its not bloated as big as for example thunderbird or evolution. You can always telnet or netcat the isp's servers with no additional software required, but it's tedious if emailing frequently or moderately. Though it sounds like you only want to sendemails, not receive. If you spam, your ip is likely to be blacklisted in many places.