Mini 9 will be here soon.

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Tue Oct 13 06:13:59 UTC 2009

Mark Griffin wrote:
> I ordered a Dell mini 9. It should be arriving tomorrow, or soon after.
> It has the Dell version of 8.04 on it. I'm liking what I have seen on
> the web about the regular Netbook Remix. I have a usb thumb drive all
> loaded up with 9.04 Remix. I'm wondering though, if I will be giving up
> anything by ditching the included version? It's supposed to be optimized
> for the Atom processor, and all that. Will I be trading stuff like
> smoother flash playback, for an OS I like better?

    I have a 10v and have gone through that process.  Here's the two blogs
posts I wrote about my first experiences with Dell's 8.04 and my later
decision to stop using UNR 9.04.

http://greydmiyu.wordpress.com/2009/08/28/mini-10v-after-2-days/
http://greydmiyu.wordpress.com/2009/09/27/nixing-unr-9-04/

    The short summary is that the version changes for the applications I use
regularly (Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office Writer & Pigin) were not
sufficient to overcome the hardware issues that presented in UNR 9.04.  Once I
found the PPA for Pidgin which updated it to a point where Y!Chat worked
Dell's 8.04 really ceased to bother me.  However 9.04 constantly grated with
the slower video, jerkier touchpad and wireless drops.

    I know there will come a time where the newer versions of my most used
software will require a version upgrade of the base OS.  However I am hoping
that Dell will at least update their version to the next LTS before then.  It
boils down to priorities.  Canonical is making UNR to work on the netbook
class machines.  Dell is focused solely on /their netbook/.