send mail from shell on 8.04 server (how to?)

Nik N niknot at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 16:41:04 UTC 2009

Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com> wrote:

> You'll need to install a 'sendmail' binary.  Whether that is sendmail
> itself, or Postfix, or one of the other lightweight alternatives.  It
> need not run as a service, since most native unix mail applications will
> will pipe the e-mail to the binary, rather than use smtp.

thanks, but that is actually what I'm trying to avoid. I am extremely
careful about what I  install on the server - and that includes mail
clients like mutt. I was hoping there would be a small, simple binary
that would communicate directly with my isp's smtp server when invoked
in a shell script, then terminate never to be seen or heard until
explicitly invoked by the shell again.

Nik N.