Upgrade to 9.04?

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 18:32:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Willis Taylor <th1bill at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I am two full days getting to this point and I have backed up my Home
> Directory to DVD.  Would I be better off t cease trying to grow sme hair

Sometimes, yes. It might be better to do a clean install, provided how
much stuff you've already put on that system that won't be on the CD.
It's a tossup. I came from a Debian system where you basically kept on
the same platform (testing) and rode that, and never installed a new
release from point zero. But that's just me.

More to the point, I think NoOp is on the right track with the RT
kernel you're using. "rt" means "real time" and if there's no
compelling reason to use that flavor of the kernel, you should stick
to more "generic" kernels. But the root of your problem is a
sependency issue because some of the packages depend on other packages
that can't be installed or because they're not configurable, which
goes basically into a circular loop.

Backing out of that problem might be difficult, since the main
component that's at issue is a kernel. We certainly don't want you to
end up with an unbootable system (even so, you could temporarily
select one of the other installed kernels listed in grub).

Here's what aptitude shows (this is Jaunty, but only the version
numbers have been changed to protect the innocent) for linux kernels

p   linux-image                        - Generic Linux kernel image.
v   linux-image-2.6                    -
i A linux-image-2.6.27-11-generic      - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.27 on x86/
c   linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic       - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.27 on x86/
c   linux-image-2.6.27-9-generic       - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.27 on x86/
i A linux-image-2.6.28-10-generic      - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on x86/
i A linux-image-2.6.28-11-generic      - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on x86/
p   linux-image-2.6.28-11-server       - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on x86/
p   linux-image-2.6.28-11-virtual      - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on x86/
i A linux-image-2.6.28-13-generic      - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on x86/
p   linux-image-2.6.28-13-server       - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on x86/
p   linux-image-2.6.28-13-virtual      - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on x86/
i A linux-image-2.6.28-14-generic      - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on x86/
p   linux-image-2.6.28-14-server       - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on x86/
p   linux-image-2.6.28-14-virtual      - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on x86/
i A linux-image-2.6.28-15-generic      - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on x86/
p   linux-image-2.6.28-15-server       - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on x86/
p   linux-image-2.6.28-15-virtual      - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on x86/
p   linux-image-2.6.28-3-rt            - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on Ingo
i   linux-image-2.6.28-8-generic       - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on x86/
i A linux-image-2.6.28-9-generic       - Linux kernel image for
version 2.6.28 on x86/
i   linux-image-generic                - Generic Linux kernel image
p   linux-image-rt                     - Rt Linux kernel image
p   linux-image-server                 - Linux kernel image on Server Equipment.
p   linux-image-virtual                - Linux kernel image for virtual machines

Key :

i means installed
i A means automatically installed
p means it's a package and not installed
v is a "virtual" package

There are basically several components to the kernel - here, you see
"linux-image-generic" which is actuallly a small package which is a
"meta" package that always installs he most up to date kernel
available for the platform (2.6.28-15 for Jaunty ATM). Same with
"linux-image-rt". But for most use, linux-image-generic is what you
should use.

There should be a way to safely back out of your situation if you
remove the linux-image-rt stuff you already have and do a manual
install with aptitute of linux-image-generic, but realistically this
is something that the update manager should have been able to handle.

Hope you can solve your problem.
--
thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.