Adobe Acroread 32 Bit On 64 Bit Karmic-How?

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 10 16:09:37 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 10/8/09, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> From: NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: Adobe Acroread 32 Bit On 64 Bit Karmic-How?
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 3:44 PM
> On 10/08/2009 01:11 PM, Leonard
> Chatagnier wrote:
> > snipped
> >> Note that for your 64bit system, there is:
> >> acroread_9.1.3-1jaunty1_amd64.deb 04-Aug-2009
> 21:04 60M
> >>
> > I installed the 9.1.3 version but it was the i386
> version and
> > probably a jaunty also. Where did you get the 64 bit
> version, from
> > Adobe?
>
> http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/a/acroread/

Ok. I think I've already done this BJIC, I purged acroread, downloaded the 64 bit and installed with gdebi via dolphin and apt-cache policy still shows dependencies for ia32-libs,  nspluginwrapper,etc. Shouldn't the 64 bit acroread not depend on these? Also, when you say "gdebi from the download folder" I suppose you mean via nautilus and not from the console.

> For my 32bit system, I uninstalled the 9.1.0-7jaunty2 that
> was installed
> via Synaptic, downloaded the appropriate 9.1.3-1jaunty1
> version,
> installed via the GDebi Package Installer (double-clicked
> on the .deb
> file in the /Download folder), and now karmic shows:
> $ apt-cache policy acroread
> acroread:
>   Installed: 9.1.3-1jaunty1
>   Candidate: 9.1.3-1jaunty1
>   Version table:
>  *** 9.1.3-1jaunty1 0
>        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>     9.1.0-7jaunty2 0
>     500 http://archive.canonical.com karmic/partner Packages
> deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner

Policy, for me, doesn't show everything you list above.  Is it a problem of some sort or just the difference between Kubuntu-desktop and Ubuntu-desktop?  My output:
apt-cache policy acroread
acroread:
  Installed: 9.1.3-1jaunty1
  Candidate: 9.1.3-1jaunty1
  Version table:
 *** 9.1.3-1jaunty1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
lchata at karmak-desktop:~/Desktop/seamonkey/chrome/icons/default

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net