/var is getting full

Graham Watkins shellycat.gw at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 10 08:48:14 UTC 2009

Alexandra Zaharia wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> Delete the logs you no longer need. If you run a bunch of daemons
> enabling verbose logging, the log files can get astonishingly big.

Thanks for the suggestion Alexandra.  However, /var/log is only 10.8Mb
so I don't think the problem lies there.

 /var contains the following folders:

backup   cache  games  local  log         mail  run    tmp
backups  crash  lib    lock   lost+found  opt   spool

My suspicions are raised by the backups folder. This seems to be using
up most of the 4.2Gb.  I briefly had sbackup installed but I've since
removed it.  If this folder relates to sbackup I can probably remove it
with no grief.

Graham