how to replace kernel on Ubuntu

Marvin Stodolsky marvin.stodolsky at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 00:54:38 UTC 2009

re: > I replace my ubuntu with older version as 2.6.18, will it be ok?
Typically yes.
New installations are usually back compatible to many earlier kernels.
But if you have to do compilng under the earlier version, also be sure
to install the corresponding linux-headers-earlier_version.
Otherwise you may not be able to compile modem drivers needed to get on line.
If the earlier version used an earlier GCC compiler, that will be necessary.
Be sure to set the symbolic link /usr/bin/gcc
$ ls -l /usr/bin/gcc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 2009-09-07 19:21 /usr/bin/gcc -> gcc-4.3
Check which GCCs are installed with:
$ ls -l /usr/bin/gcc*

MarvS