Seamonkey Addons

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 9 18:55:46 UTC 2009

On 10/09/2009 11:05 AM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> --- On Fri, 10/9/09, NoOp <snip> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps you mean SeaMonkey 1.1.17? You'll get the message if the
>> add-on is not compatible with your version or program. For instance
>> if you try to add an add-on for 1.1.18 (that is the latest
>> SeaMonkey release) to SM 2.0 (that is the latest pre-release) you'd
>> get that install script it the add-on isn't coded for 2.0x[1]. Or
>> if you're trying to install a Firefox only add-on to SeaMonkey or
>> Thunderbird, etc. Think of it as the .deb installer that checks to
>> see if the application meets all dependencies, and then stops the
>> install if it does not.
>>
> It was the .17 version and now have installed 2.2b1. I discovered
> most of what you said above after googling.  Sorry for that; it was a
> moment of frustration with Karmic trying to set up everything as it
> was in Jaunty.  As the bug comments said, you should be able to use
> the adons for the browser you accessed it from.

We are currently testing 2.0rc1 which will be (hopefully) the final for
2.0. You may wish to go ahead and install it instead:

<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/nightly/2.0rc1-candidates/build1/linux-i686/en-US/>

With any luck, no changes will be made between 2.0rc1 and 2.0 final.
Let me know if you have issues with 2.0rc1 so that I can help
troubleshoot & report to the mozilla developers.

Note: 2.0rc1 will install over your 2.0b1 without issue. Also, it is
better that you keep them in your home folder instead of
/usr/local/seamonkey anyway. Simply create a ~/seamonkey folder &
extract to there. No other requirements except for perhaps creating a
menu item. Icon's are located in seamonkey/chrome/icons/default. Then
just run seamonkey from ~/seamonkey/seamonkey.

>> What is the add-on you are having issues with?
>>
> Adblock Plus was the main one.

Works w/1.1.x and 2.x.

The rest were what just struck my
> fancy while going through the list. I'll stay with the 2.0b1 as used
> on Jaunty, but haven't had time to install adons at this point.  Just
> finished installing the 2.0b1 tar.bz2 and had a little issue(what's
> new) with it not installing in the default /usr/loca/seamonkey but
> that no biggy, I'll use it installed in /$HOME/Desktop, and it is
> running now and typing my response from it.  Sorry to be such a
> bother and not google first which I try to do most of the time._:o)
>> [1] A good example is the lightning calendar nightly and the
>> seamonkey 2.0rc1 code. Both applications work together (with some
>> bugs of course), but the lightning.xpi has code in it that checks
>> for certain versions. In order to actually get it to install into
>> SeaMonkey 2.0rc1 you need to add a new setting in about:config
>>

>> extensions.checkCompatibility    false
>>
>> and then it will install.
>>
> Thanks for the tip.  I'll add it before adding some addons to my
> 2.0b1 install to see if it helps.

The lightning.xpi that you'll need to use is the nightly. It's available
here:

<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/calendar/lightning/nightly/linux-xpi/>

Download it & after you've added 'extensions.checkCompatibility' and set
it to false in about:config (open about:config - right-click on the
whitespace, add, boolean, extensions.checkCompatibility & set to false)
and the click the add-on manager. Click Extensions|Install navigate to
where you downloaded lightning.xpi and install. Contact me off-list for
any added help on that one.