Adobe Acroread 32 Bit On 64 Bit Karmic-How?

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Fri Oct 9 18:12:58 UTC 2009

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> Thanks Fred, but this is getting stranger by the minute.  Your little tip worked even with aptitude but the apt show option doesn't pick it up.  Also aptitude and apt-cache search doesn't pick it up; only acroread-fonts even after sudo updatedb was run. Acroread-fonts was from the medibuntu repo. Without the apt show entry for acroread and not knowing the version it will install, I choose not to install from repos.  There is a bug floating around here somewhere.
> I also read the howto you listed all the way through but nothing there I haven't done. I ran the command(apt Xapian or something) which causes synaptic to pick up the additional added repos and updated before searching for acroread and sure enough no acroread only acroread-fonts as before.  Bugs are crawling out the woodwork or I doing something wrong. Let me know if you can get show to work on acroread and what version we have, if you don't mind.
> Im listing my canonical and medibuntu entries just in case there is an error:
>
> deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free
> deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ sid non-free
> deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner
> above in sources.list

 From the how to I listed I have:

    froller at metis:~$ less /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

    ## Please report any bug on https://bugs.launchpad.net/medibuntu/
    deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free #Medibuntu -
Ubuntu 9.10 "karmic koala"
    # deb-src http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free
#Medibuntu (source) - Ubuntu 9.10 "karmic koala"

> http://archives.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner
> http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free
> Http://deb.opera.com/opera/sid non-free

Standard partner activation in source.list:

    deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner
    deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner

> above in software sources Other Software.
>
> also picked up in todays upgrade which wasn't there before is:
>
> Medibuntu - Ubuntu 9.10 "karmic koala" free non-free
> There is an entry for the source package also.
> I suspect that is where acroread was picked up from as it wasn't there before for me.
> If you see any errors in my sources please kindly point them out to me.  Thanks for your comments.
> Leonard Chatagnier
> lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net

Can't see anything out of place.  Like you I don't see acroread through
synaptic.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple.  If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."