Upside-down exclamation mark in Ubuntu

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 01:10:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 7:34 PM, David McNally <david3333333 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> It's that time of year again... fall is here, and for me, that means...
> longer homework!
>
> I need to word-process a handwritten essay for my Spanish class. I now need
> to find the unusual symbols that exist in Spanish and not on my USA
> keyboard, including accent marks and upside-down exclamation and question
> marks. I was able to find the accent-marked letters in the Character Map
> application in Applications -> Accessories (which makes sense, because the
> icon for Character Map is an accent-marked lowercase 'a').
>
> Does anyone know where the upside-down question and exclamation marks are?

In Gnome I press the Compose key, then ! twice to get a ¡.  To get ¿,
I press Compose then ? twice.  Accents are similar - Compose, a, then
' produces an á.

My Compose key is right-alt.  I forget what the default is - Check in
System->Preferences->Keyboard.  Then on the Layout tab, click 'Layout
Options'.  That is where the Compose key settings live.

Check here for more info:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ComposeKey

¡HTH!
Chris