Adobe Acroread 32 Bit On 64 Bit Karmic-How?

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 8 19:36:27 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 10/8/09, Fred Roller <froller at tnclimited.com> wrote:

> From: Fred Roller <froller at tnclimited.com>
> Subject: Re: Adobe Acroread 32 Bit On 64 Bit Karmic-How?
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 8:46 AM
>
> >  If someone knows why acroread is no longer
> available in ubuntu repos, I sure wish they would speak
> up.
> Sorry for jumping in the middle here but acroread is
> available:
>
> froller at metis:~$ sudo apt-get install ac [tab][tab]
> [snipped]
> achilles
> aclock
>   acroread
> acidbase          aclock.app
>        acroread-fonts
> acidrip
>    acl-pro-installer act
> ack
>    acm
>           activedvi
> ack-grep          acm4
>
> acl
>    aconnectgui
>
> I have partners and medibuntu (karmic) setup.  Built
> the Karmic beta
> from the "Perfect Desktop" for Jaunty found at
> www.howtoforge.com and
> adjusted for karmic.  Mine is a 64bit build.

Thanks Fred, but this is getting stranger by the minute.  Your little tip worked even with aptitude but the apt show option doesn't pick it up.  Also aptitude and apt-cache search doesn't pick it up; only acroread-fonts even after sudo updatedb was run. Acroread-fonts was from the medibuntu repo. Without the apt show entry for acroread and not knowing the version it will install, I choose not to install from repos.  There is a bug floating around here somewhere.
I also read the howto you listed all the way through but nothing there I haven't done. I ran the command(apt Xapian or something) which causes synaptic to pick up the additional added repos and updated before searching for acroread and sure enough no acroread only acroread-fonts as before.  Bugs are crawling out the woodwork or I doing something wrong. Let me know if you can get show to work on acroread and what version we have, if you don't mind.
Im listing my canonical and medibuntu entries just in case there is an error:

deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free
deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ sid non-free
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner
above in sources.list

http://archives.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner
http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free
Http://deb.opera.com/opera/sid non-free
above in software sources Other Software.

also picked up in todays upgrade which wasn't there before is:

Medibuntu - Ubuntu 9.10 "karmic koala" free non-free
There is an entry for the source package also.
I suspect that is where acroread was picked up from as it wasn't there before for me.
If you see any errors in my sources please kindly point them out to me.  Thanks for your comments.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net