Adobe Acroread 32 Bit On 64 Bit Karmic-How?

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 8 13:12:33 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 10/8/09, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Adobe Acroread 32 Bit On 64 Bit Karmic-How?
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Thursday, October 8, 2009, 1:10 AM
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 6:04 PM,
> Leonard Chatagnier
> <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
> > Did my homework, googled(for 2 days), discoveed only
> 32 bit acroread available of linux, found the Adobe download
> site and tried to download
>
> > ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/9.x/9.1.3/enu/AdbeRdr9.1.3-1_i386linux_enu.deb.
>  I suppose that the "enu" stands for English language,
> maybe universal or something to that effect. I started the
> download and it appeared to download(status bar shows
> progress until it completes then nothing.  Can't find the
> download in my Desktop or anywhere else.  sudo updatedb
> followed by locate <filename shown above> only returns
> the cursor line.  During the download or as it is finishing
> a popup appears(gdebi I think) saying its the wrong
> architecture appears and I know that but why doesn't the
> default FF browser download it.  If it did, I would use
> sudo dpkg --force-architecture <file name.deb> to
> install it as I did for my Brother printer which worked ok.
> Always have been able to download from the internet before?
>  read the ubuntu howtos.  However, Canonical and medibuntu
> don't have or wont download acroread.
>
> > Would appreciate any who can tell me how:
> >
> > find a ubuntu or canonical repo to download acroread
> >
> > or why the file wouldn't download with ff-3.5 on
> Karmic Beta
> >
> > or any help to get acroread installed on my Beta
> install because
> > I want acroread instead of a ubuntu substitute.
> >
> > Thanks for any help
> >
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> > lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
>
> There used to be an Acroread 32/64 release available at
> Medibuntu, I
> have it (V. 8.1.3 for Intrepid - can't remember if it was
> the buggy
> one) and it runs perfectly on Jaunty 64 and Shiretoko
> (Firefox) 3.5.3.
> Seems it is not available anymore.
>
> The page is ttp://packages.medibuntu.org/intrepid/acroread.html
> but
> the internal links seem to be broken.

Yes, my experience exactly.  I had both canonical partner and medibuntu repos enabled but after updating and aptitude search/show acroread nothing was found. Only bad thing about googling is that there is a lot of obsolete info on the web. AFAIK, there is no way to download acroread from a ubuntu related repo anymore at least on Karmic. Strange and I don't know why it's that way today.
I did have the ver 9.1.3 downloaded from the Adobe site but got confused because Karmic defaults to putting downloads in the Downloads dir in Home instead of in Desktop folder I'm so used to. I discovered that with Doug's tip to right click the download link when the download app showed the Download folder as default. More sneaky Ubuntu changes-:o)  Once I found the download(and I remember looking there before and it wasn't there), I just installed it with dpkg --force-architecture and have used it since with out any problem.  The strangest thing about this whole issue is that you can't find acroread in the ubuntu repos any more.  Hope that changes as I prefer to use the repos rather than downloading from the net. Thanks for your comments,
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net