Karmic (Beta) Test Installs

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 23:04:19 UTC 2009

>>> Strange! I will try the re-install but it might have to wait until Thursday.

>> Yes it is. On the first attempt it halted and told me that I on had xxxK
>> left on the drive. On the second it had 0B, so it looks like it was just
>> writing on the drive without removing/reformating.

>>> One more question. Did you choose to format the partition?

>> There was no option listed to do so. When I redo today, I'll fix the
>> camera so that the screen pic's are clear. The one's from yesterday are
>> too blurry to post anywhere. In the interim I'll see if I can find if
>> someone else has documented the screens somewhere.

> Repeatable. Just tested again using the liveCD - digital photos turned
> out better this time. Tried to do an install w/liveCD over the existing
> 9.10 Beta.

> Selected 'Erase and use the entire disk'
>  SCSII (0,0,0) (sda) - 10.2 GB ATA ST310212A
>  ! This will delete Ubuntu karmic (development branch) (9.10) and
> install Ubuntu 9.10.

> Eventually pops up with 'This comouter has only 0 bytes disk space
> remaining...' Then it goes to liveCD desktop & both the
> GNOME_IndicatorApplet and the GNOME_FastUserSwitchApplet's crash.
> (Forgot to mention that they also did in the previous liveCD install
> attempts.

I re-installed Karmic twice tonight. Both installs went fine even
though I was re-installing onto a partition with a Karmic install.

***But I used the "custom/advanced/whatever_it_is_actually_called"
partition option in step 4 because I was re-installing on a partition
not en entire disk.***

(I did two installs because the first time I was re-installing onto an
ext3 partition and wanted to check whether re-installing onto an ext4
partition would be different.)