New menu.lst on Grub version 2

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 6 01:23:53 UTC 2009

--- On Mon, 10/5/09, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: New menu.lst on Grub version 2
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Monday, October 5, 2009, 4:43 PM
> Tom H wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Leonard Chatagnier
> > <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
> (on
> --fs-uuid --set
> ${root}
> >
> >> Is there a question in here that I missed or is
> this
> >> just another of your list blogs?
> >
> > It is a blog-type email, of course. However, it does
> raise two issues.
> >
> > 1) /boot/grub/grub.cfg is not supposed to be edited -
> unless you feel
> > like making the same edits after update-grub runs (for
> example, when
> > grub2 is upgraded; regularly, I assume, until Karmic
> is out of beta).
> > You can add entries in /etc/grub.d/40_custom; or you
> can remove the x
> > bit from 10..., 20... 30... and put "all" your entries
> into 40... and
> > end up with a fully-customized menu (and fewer ###s in
> grub.cfg).
> >
> > 2) If you do not like the ###, you can edit the script
> that is called
> > by update-grub - and re-edit it after a grub2
> upgrade.
> >
>     I read the README in /etc/grub.d/ and I
> want nothing of this
> thank you.

Ahhh.  You just want to use it not geek it, right.
Also my feelings.  For the new, latest and greatest, Ubunto OS, it does seem like one needs to do a lot of geeking to get it right.  But, that will all come out in the wash when the final release comes out.  At least, I hope it will.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net