Starting Thunterbird.

John Heinen hensandpat at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 5 20:08:23 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> On 10/04/2009 03:49 PM, John Heinen wrote:
>
>> I downloaded Thuntherbird and have thunterbird 2.0.0.21 mtar.gz  and
>> thunterbird setup 2  0.0.0.21 tar.gz. How do I install and run this
>> Thinderbird.
>>

> As others have already mentioned, you can download and install
> thunderbird from the repositories.
>
> 1. From Synaptic: System|Administration|Synaptic Package Manager|search
> for 'Thunderbird' in the search box. Right-click the simly marked
> 'thunderbird' and select 'Mark for Installation'. Now click the 'Apply'
> icon & it will download & install. Afterwards you will find the menu
> item at: Applications|Internet|Thunderbird.
>
> 2. From the command line:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install thunderbird
>
> Afterwards you will find the menu item at:
> Applications|Internet|Thunderbird.
>
> To answer your original question - if you still wish to go that route:
> when you've downloaded thunderbird-2.0.0.23.tar.gz (don't know where you
> got 21, the current rev is 23) from:
> http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
> you open Nautilus (Places|Home), go to where you downloaded it, and
> double click thunderbird-2.0.0.23.tar.gz. That will open up the Archive
> Manager - click the Extract icon & select your home folder. Ensure that
> the following are checked: Extract|All files, Actions|Re-create folders
> & Overwrite existing files. Click the Extract button. Exit the Archive
> Manager.
>
> That will create a new folder called 'thunderbird'. Within that folder
> is a shell script file called 'thunderbird'. Double-click that file,
> click 'Run'.
>
> Note that with the thunderbird-2.0.0.23.tar.gz method, you will need to
> create your own menu item in Applications|Internet| & at this point, I
> think it's easier/better for you to install using 1 or 2 above.

Downloading from the repositories, sorry I lost it all, my phone line
went down,
Anyway this is what I have on the screen now that I am on line again
Thunderbird (wubi)
thuntherbird nostalgy
mozilla thunterbird (wubi
mozilla thunterbird-dev (wubi)
No package selected.

All I want is thunderbird for the e-mail, which one should I choose.
Thanks John