Static IP (Ubuntu 9.04)

James Michael Fultz croooow at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 06:10:03 UTC 2009

* Michael White <enlightenedshadow at yahoo.com> [2009-10-04 22:02 -0700]:
[...]
> I want to set up a static IP address for this computer so that I can
> use TVersity.
[...]
> I have read several articles on the issue at hand. Each one of them
> saying a something different. I want someone to walk me through this
> process if they would.

Have you read the section on Static Connections from the official
documentation?

<https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/internet/C/connecting-wired.html>

If you are using Ubuntu 9.04, this is the set of steps you want to
follow.  The NetworkManager icon looks something like two screens
overlapping.

"Static Connections

"If you don't use DHCP then you can configure a static connection.

1. Right click the NetworkManager icon in the system notification
   area.
2. Click Edit Connections.
3. Click the Wired tab.
4. Select the connection and click Edit.
5. Click the IPv4 tab.
6. Choose Manual from the Method drop down.

[Here, click the Add button to open a new entry under Adresses.  After
you've filled in your IP address click onto the next field for each of
Netmask and Gateway to fill in those.  Enter your list of DNS servers as
a space-separated list into the DNS Servers field.]

7. Enter your details and click OK.
8. Click Close."