Grub 2 in Jaunty/Karmic can break double boot configuration

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 04:11:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Goh Lip <g.lip at gmx.com> wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>
>> Tried to install Karmic at sda1 (ext4-primary) but there was another
>> Ubuntu instance at sda9 (ext3-secondary). Since ext4 and grub legacy
>> don't get well together, in fact they hate each other, and install
>> aborted before rebooting, leaving out grub2, Karmic ext4 became
>> "invisible" to grub legacy till I managed to install grub2 on Jaunty,
>> after what they all lived happily forever, etc.
>>

> You can still boot Karmic, (ext4, grub2) using grub legacy using
> chainloading.
>
> root (hd0,8)
> chainloader +1
> boot
>

>> So I guess the safest way to place Karmic together with a previous
>> release is first, update to grub2 and them install Karmic. And of
>> course, if you are not as dumb as me, read thoroughly
>> http://grub.enbug.org/Manual *before*.
>>
>> But still didn't figure how I managed to break two Karmic installs in a row.
>

> But, yes, I think it's better to change all instances to grub2.
>
> Regards,
> Goh Lip

Goh,

Thanks for your notes.

As reported, my Karmic installs went berserk and there was no grub2
installed. So I had to install grub2 on jaunty to get things working.

Everything seems fine now, but I can't reproduce the problem because I
do not have grub legacy installed anymore.

Lucio

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.:  23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W