OT:Re: Help with installation

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Mon Oct 5 00:38:36 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:

> We _do_ help the people with problems.  In fact, the post I made in this
> thread offered help.  Unfortunately, we have Karl.  Karl accidentally hits
> the right solution about one post in 10.  I suspect he even really knows the
> solution about one in a 100.  The rest of the time, we have to do what we
> can to rein him in.

Not wanting to bash anyone here - but it would be really good if those
folks keenest to help would adopt a procedure similar to:

- write up reply to question.
- go away for 1/2 hour.
- come back and think about if the reply actually answers the question,
and is known to have worked, if so 'send'.

While the helpfulness of may folks on this list is to be commended (and
I am including Karl here), I'd like them to also consider - wrong or
misleading help can sometimes be worse than no help...

This list has a bit of a reputation for 'the blind leading the blind',
it would be good to get away from that - and be known as a list where
good quality help is given.

regards

Mark