Grub 2 in Jaunty/Karmic can break double boot configuration

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 22:39:26 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 2:09 AM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> So, I shall gladly attempt to perform a 'karmic destroy' update on my
> jaunty test system tomorrow. That has to be easier than figuring out
> "simple" samba problems :-)

It is not easy to perform a Karmic destroy...

I guess I partially found what happened.

Tried to install Karmic at sda1 (ext4-primary) but there was another
Ubuntu instance at sda9 (ext3-secondary). Since ext4 and grub legacy
don't get well together, in fact they hate each other, and install
aborted before rebooting, leaving out grub2, Karmic ext4 became
"invisible" to grub legacy till I managed to install grub2 on Jaunty,
after what they all lived happily forever, etc.

So I guess the safest way to place Karmic together with a previous
release is first, update to grub2 and them install Karmic. And of
course, if you are not as dumb as me, read thoroughly
http://grub.enbug.org/Manual *before*.

But still didn't figure how I managed to break two Karmic installs in a row.

Lucio

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.:  23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W