problems about network settings

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Oct 4 19:45:25 UTC 2009

loody wrote:
> I got 2 machines on the same switch.
> Everything, except ip and distributions, one is mythubuntu and
> another is Ubuntu with Gnome, is the same on these 2 machines, at
> least in my mind.
> But one can connect to the gatway but another cannot.
> I don't think it is due to different distribution, but I have compare
> everything I could on these 2 machines.
> ( I list ifconfig and route table at the end of letter)

I don't think the distribution is important here. While I'm not familiar
with Mythbuntu, I would be surprised if the networking is different from
Ubuntu. As both setups are identical (except the IP address), I would
assume the reason for your problem can't be seen easily from the
configuration.

Possibly you have done this already but I would first check if the non-
working machine uses the wrong interface (if there is a second network
card), i.e. maybe it should be eth1 instead of eth0. And then I would
check if the cable is working. Usually there are lights on the switch
indicating if there is something connected to the individual ports. You
could unplug the cable from the machine and the light should go out and
it should go on again when you reconnect the plug.

Nils