dual boot question

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 4 19:00:32 UTC 2009

--- On Sun, 10/4/09, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: dual boot question
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Sunday, October 4, 2009, 12:00 PM
> Andrew Farris wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 16:52 +0100, Steve wrote:
> >> On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 16:34:32 +0100, Greg Sander
> <gregsander at verizon.net>

> currently have a dual-boot system
> separate hard drive.  The first
> second drive has my new
> the old XP.  I want to install
> boot system.  The first
> would have my new XP.  My
> first drive for the boot.ini
> current dual-boot option.

> >> I know somebody that’s done this, although it
> was Vista that was on the
> >> first drive, so it shouldn’t be a problem.
> >
> > I think each windows install gets it's own boot.ini as
> well, so you
> > could, in theory anyway, remove whichever one you
> want, and the process
> > should continue unhindered.
> >
> > I'd still recommend (if you're sure that the old XP
> install is the one
> > with the essential boot.ini file) that you make a
> backup of the file
> > before wiping that install and putting ubuntu on it.
> that way, if it
> > looks like your new XP won't boot, you could try
> renaming it's boot.ini,
> > and replacing it with the old XP boot.ini file (you
> might have to modify
> > some stuff in it to get it to work... I'm not entirely
> sure, as I've
> > never tried this before myself).
> >
> > Good luck!
> >

>     Andrew, I have seen every version of
> Ubuntu use grub which
> will pick up the saved XP and boot that if you want to. Do
> not
> worry about the window boot.

My experience is similar to Karl's but I wouldn't go so far to say it can't happen.  My experience does inclue a dual drive Ubuntu/windose system and have never had to modify menu.list as "sudo update-grub" has always fixed any problems.  I am just about to install Karmac on an empty partition and will soom see if grub2 is as forgiving just as soon as I read the links that NoOp gave in an earlier post concerning grub2.  The bugs have been posted for grub2.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net