Grub 2 in Jaunty/Karmic can break double boot configuration

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 04:36:37 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Andrew Farris <flyindragon1 at aol.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 22:30 -0300, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> [snip]
>> No, in fact I didn't Google before installing grub2 on Jaunty, maybe
>> headquarters should put a "beware" sign near it at Synaptic. And as
>> Karmic was a clean test install I also didn't  bother to check release
>> notes. Jaunty works so fine that I'm becoming careless.
>
> _Always_ check the release notes.... it will save you much grief, as
> I've learned from experience, and as you now have, I assume, from this
> endeavour.
>
> All else aside, considering the severity of the issue, I'd imagine it
> will get sorted out before the official release date.
>

> --
> Andrew

Can't say anything but agree.

>From release notes:

"Due to the conversion to GRUB2, installation will fail if you try to
install Karmic Alpha 2 on a system with other OSes installed. This
will be fixed for Alpha 3. As a workaround in the meantime, you can
choose to use GRUB1 instead by booting with the option:
grub-installer/grub2_instead_of_grub_legacy=false. (385995)"

But then, I guess that my live cd daily current 09/29 must be Beta.

I guess, the sense that most of my Ubuntu "misbehaviors" can
eventually be corrected without a full "format C:" makes me less
cautious and this is definitely not good.

I don't really believe it is a severe issue, just peculiar, should not
be on Beta.

--

L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.:  23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W