How to send & recieve Fax ?(with dial up modem)

Xandros Pilosa folivora.pilosa at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 17:02:24 UTC 2009

a dehqan pravi:
> In The Name Of God The compassionate merciful
>
> Good day everyone ;
>
> Driver of modem is installed and modem works fine .conexant hsfmodem .it
> is lenovo NCG 7742 laptop modem .
>
> First How to be sure in ubuntu 9.04 that modem support Fax .
> Second : How to send fax from a file and recieve fax to a file ?
> with dialup modem ?

Good day to you too.

According to:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Conexant_HSF_modem_drivers#The_Linuxant_hsf_driver
you have to use OEM driver from Dell to have fax support for your modem
or to buy Linuxant driver.
Instructions for setting up Dell OEM version you can find here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto/Conexant
This is in case you don't use any of those driver already, of course.

> Softwares Gfax,hylafax ,efax-gtk are installed.

I use efax-gtk and almost everything about settings and using it is on
and from this page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/printing/C/faxing.html
(don't miss a link to the community documentation)
and of course: "man efax-gtk" and help menu from within the application.
Just remember that you have to have efax-gtk running to print from any
document to a fax virtual printer (that is how you send faxes from
documents).

Regards