Setting Up a Router:

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 18:43:19 UTC 2009

Joseph wrote:
> Wade Smart wrote:
>> Joseph wrote:

>>> Wade, please forgive me for my computer ignorance, but when you say
>>> "browser," what do you mean?  Internet Browser???  If so, I'm timing out...
>>>

>> Yes. Firefox, Opera,... any browser.
>>
>> Lets start from the beginning.
>>
>> You have a router already set up and your other computers are on it.
>>
>> Your ubuntu machine - is this a laptop or a desktop?
>>
>> In to top right hand corner of your ubuntu desktop, look for the two
>> computers icon indicating your network connection. Left click on it.
>> Do you see something below it saying anything about wireless? If not,
>> you probably dont have a working wireless card.
>>
>> Depending on if you are on a laptop or desktop will determine your next
>> course of action.
>>
>> Lets assume that you can "see" your network in the drop down list from
>> above. If you can and you cant connection, 1) are you mac address
>> filtering? 2) are you using encryption?
>>
>> Wade
>>

> Wade, thanks for your patience.
>
> I've gotten to the IP address, and did all the settings as mentioned
> above...   but still no connection.
>
> I have an HP desktop with Gigs of memory and speed...
>
> I clicked on the network connection icon and it gives me "wired," "eth0"
> and "vpn connections."  The "eth0" is checked.
>
> I'm running a wired connection to this Ubuntu computer, and a wireless
> connection to the Windows XP computer.
>
> The MAC filter is disabled.
>
> I didn't see anything about "encryption"

Did you see Steve Flynns post?
You can do this on Ubuntu to: ifconfig.

After you type this in you will see a lot of information.
On the left is something like etho and the right multiple lines of stuff.

On the second line it will say something like:
inet addr: 192.168.1.101 (or some number similar).
What is that number.

So you were able to log into the router with your XP to know mac
settings and enc.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606