Reporting bugs about Ubuntu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 1 15:15:14 UTC 2009

On 09/30/2009 09:30 PM, Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 20:41 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm not familiar with this menu entry and have not seen it before.  Do
>> > you know what package provides it?
>> >

>> /usr/share/apport/apport-gtk -c %f
>>
>> is what it shows in the properties command section.
>
> It's actually there by default, but hidden (at least it always has been
> for me). To show it, you have to do a "Right-click > edit menus" then
> click the appropriate checkboxes.
>
> I think it should probably be visible by default on non-LTS releases at
> least, if they plan on making it the only way to report errors...
>
> Also, in any given application, theres usually a 'report a problem' link
> under 'help' which is just a link to launch apport.

LOL... someone has already filed a bug report :-)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apport/+bug/438847
[Karmic 'Report a problem...' in system tools doesn't work ]

Wonder if he had to get apport to crash first before being able to
actually file the bug... Today when I clicked 'Applications|System
Tools|Report a problem' nothing at all happened. So I tried the exact
command from the menu launcher in the terminal
'/usr/share/apport/apport-gtk -c %f' (copy & pasted it so I didn't get
it wrong). Result is (drum roll please)...

A popup stating:

Invalid problem report. No such file or directory.

That and:

$ gksu apport -c %f
gksu: invalid option -- 'c'
GKsu version 2.0.2

Usage: gksu [-u <user>] [options] <command>

  --debug, -d
    Print information on the screen that might be
    useful for diagnosing and/or solving problems.

  --user <user>, -u <user>
    Call <command> as the specified user.

  --disable-grab, -g
    Disable the "locking" of the keyboard, mouse,
    and focus done by the program when asking for
    password.
  --prompt, -P
    Ask the user if they want to have their keyboard
    and mouse grabbed before doing so.
  --preserve-env, -k
    Preserve the current environments, does not set $HOME
    nor $PATH, for example.
  --login, -l
    Make this a login shell. Beware this may cause
    problems with the Xauthority magic. Run xhost
    to allow the target user to open windows on your
    display!

  --description <description|file>, -D <description|file>
    Provide a descriptive name for the command to
    be used in the default message, making it nicer.
    You can also provide the absolute path for a
    .desktop file. The Name key for will be used in
    this case.
  --message <message>, -m <message>
    Replace the standard message shown to ask for
    password for the argument passed to the option.
    Only use this if --description does not suffice.

  --print-pass, -p
    Ask gksu to print the password to stdout, just
    like ssh-askpass. Useful to use in scripts with
    programs that accept receiving the password on
    stdin.

  --sudo-mode, -S
    Make GKSu use sudo instead of su, as if it had been
    run as "gksudo".
  --su-mode, -w
    Make GKSu use su, instead of using libgksu's
    default.

So, I try simply: 'gksu apport' - that gives me a password prompt, enter
my password, click OK, and I am immediately dropped back to the
terminal. No other msg. I'd try to debug and strace, but the devs should
already have sufficient information from the apport bug 438847 - right?

Oh wait, 438847 is an actual crash of apport... but now that you can't
file bugs directly in launchpad anymore (apparently we aren't bright
enough), I guess I'll get something to crash & see if apport
communicates with launchpad that way so I can file a new bug that way...
or not.