Mac look alike?

Odd iodine at runbox.no
Mon Nov 30 13:52:38 UTC 2009

Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Odd wrote:
>
>> Well, it's certainly more reliable than your faith-based
>> opinions on Apple hw.
>
> Whoah.
>
> You're citing some not-to-be-argued-with text against someone else's
> personal experience, and /he's/ the religious nutbar?

Someone who says his personal experience is more valid than
a  survey of 30.000 computers is most definitely not in the
real world. That's why I say it's faith-based.

> I don't trust that survey simply because it goes so far against my
> personal experience.

And again, you're acting on faith. Same as religious people.

> I can't say why they'd fake it, I'm not even
> saying it's necessarily wrong. But it's saying things that disagree
> quite directly with my experience.

Sigh..

> I'm open to being corrected in this manner - maybe the set of hardware
> that I've seen is a peculiar subset - but it's certainly going to take
> more than a single survey for me to decide that Apple's actually aren't
> generally better built than their competition.

30.000 computers.

> I don't think there's anything wrong with Alan's scepticism. If those
> results are accurate, they will be corroborated by other surveys. If
> they're not, they will be disputed by them.

You go find that other survey then.

> Either way, I _know_ that apple and IBM hardware has tended to fare
> better in the environment I tend to put my laptops through than Acer
> or Dell. This might or might not be caused by the relative quality of
> their construction, but I'm not about to discount several years of
> experience on the basis of a single online survey, irrespective of
> the standing of its publisher.

Faith in your personal experience against a survey of 30.000
machines ins worthless. It's religion. The cult of Mac.

--
Odd