Firefox on 9.04 won't play videos at YouTube

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 29 04:45:00 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 11/28/09, Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Nathan Bahn <nathan.bahn at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Firefox on 9.04 won't play videos at YouTube
To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Date: Saturday, November 28, 2009, 8:57 PM

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 8:29 PM, John Abbott <fewclues at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 20:01 -0500, Nathan Bahn wrote:

    Attention all--

    First, I want to thank Dan and everyone else who has offered advice.  Regrettably, however, Firefox still won't play video from sites like YouTube and Veoh on this person's computer.  I respectfully await any other suggestions.

Nathan,

    Open Synaptic Program Manager, download ubuntu-restricted-extras  and everything should be just fine.

ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com

NoOp--
I used Synaptic Package Manager -- this is 9-04 that's on the computer -- to remove gnash and mozilla-plugin-gnash.
John--
ububntu-restricted-extras was already downloaded, so I reinstalled it and rebooted the computer.

RESULT:  Unfortunately, black screens are still being displayed where the streaming video should be.
:-(
I respectfully await further suggestions.

Geeze, You were supposed to completely remove(purge)  gnash and mozilla-plugin-gnash.  Did you using synaptic, completely remove those two files?  If not, then run:
sudo aptitude purge gnash mozilla-plugin-gnash
I see no problem with reinstalling ububntu-restricted-extras but you still need a flash plugin/player to play flash videos.
So that means reinstalling flashplugin-nonfree or flashplugin-installer whichever 9.04 has in the downloads.
Maybe run aptitude search flash to see what comes up and maybe run aptitude show <whichever flash program you think you need> to see what is says the program(s) are for and what they do.  Pretty basic stuff to help yourself out.  HTH you some.

Len