PC crashed during "apt-get install"

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Sat Nov 28 22:24:09 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 05:01:59PM -0500, Alan McKay wrote:
> I was doing "apt-get install ntop" and something unrelated to this
> activity caused my PC to hang.
>
> Now I can not install it nor remove it  - it is stuck in between
> root at alan-ubuntu:/usr/share/media/videos/Muppets# apt-get install ntop
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> ntop is already the newest version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
> Setting up ntop (3:3.3-11ubuntu1) ...
> dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute installed post-installation
> script: Exec format error

Interesting.  I've never seen "Exec format error" before.  Looks like
the crash damaged /var/lib/dpkg/info/ntop.postinst.

> dpkg: error processing ntop (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
>  ntop

Try

  sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/ntop.postinst
  sudo apt-get install --reinstall ntop

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--
There are a lotta computer languages out there doing drugs.
		-- Larry Wall