Mac look alike?

Arthur Johnson arthur.johnson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 07:10:26 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 1:28 AM, Mark Traceur <marktraceur at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I'm pretty sure at least 50% of these messages are off point to
> the conversation and the list.
>
> In the context of an UBUNTU USERS LIST, I'm going to go ahead and make
> a few points:
>
> 1. Macs are far too expensive. Every time you buy a Mac computer,
> you're paying 500 dollars or more for that Apple logo on the back.
> Don't fall for that.
> 2. Total cost of a computer with the same specs as a Macbook 13"
> (which goes for around $1000 US) and Windows is about $460 US, and you
> can install an Ubuntu system over it and get money back if you never
> use Windows.
> 3. Ubuntu will do most everything Macs will, it's just not nearly as
> seamless--mostly because Apple only programs for their hardware, so
> they can focus on new features rather than compatibility.
> 4. The stuff that Ubuntu WON'T do as well as Macs, you can emulate
> with Wine anyway. It won't look beautiful, but it'll get done.
>
> Now, all of you who are advocating Mac on this list can leave if
> that's your opinion. Especially thomas, you are evidently willing to
> make the poor OP think he doesn't love his daughter if he won't drop a
> thousand dollars for a bloated, poorly-supported computer that will
> look REALLY NICE while it fails to live up to its pricetag.
>
> Once again, I'd like to remind everyone: This is the ubuntu-users
> mailing list, please keep it about Ubuntu. NOT Mac OS X. NOT Windows.
> LINUX.

I have to agree.  Personal feelings aside, this is a Ubuntu Users
mailing list, and I'm getting pretty tired of the OS/X advocacy
hijacking myself.

I believe the the original post was asking if he could make Ubuntu
behave and look like OS/X, and I've actually done this before.  The
answer is an unqualified YES.  I believe NoOp sufficiently answered
the question.  I've actually implemented the guide he recommended:

http://maketecheasier.com/turn-your-ubuntu-hardy-to-mac-osx-leopard/2008/07/23

And its for all practical and intensive purposes behaves and looks
just like a Mac.

I've actually had an OS/X machine in my service at one point, and much
preferred Ubuntu over it.  Generally speaking, in my opinion, I found
the OS to be less customizable than even Windows, and every time I
turned around I was getting charged for this or that.  It got annoying
quick.

Also, if you compare the specs on OS/X machines with the specs of a
generic PC, your looking at spending quite a bit more, roughly twice
as much in some cases.  The hardware is way overpriced, and the OS/X
is way overrated.  But thats my opinion, and haven't "played" with
OS/X in about three years, so maybe things have changed a bit.

I still wouldn't pay $600USD for a breadbox PC, which is pretty much
all a Mini is.  Let alone anything else Apple has to "offer."  Cost to
benefit is just way out of whack for me.